M’sia Cup QF: Felda send JDT packing, Pahang survive LionsXII onslaught

Johor DT have been knocked out of the Malaysia Cup after losing 3-2 to Felda United over two legs. The first leg finished 1-1 and JDT went into the second leg with an away goal advantage. But that was immediately cancelled out by Thiago Augusto’s spot kick on the 3rd minute mark. The Southern Tigers did all they could to muster a comeback, though they only managed to restore parity in the second half, thanks to Safiq Rahim’s 50th minute strike. The match continued to be edgy, and Felda’s star man Zah Rahan Krangar ultimately handed the decisive blow on the 77th minute, by scoring to help Felda seal a a narrow win that sent them into the semi-finals.

Meanwhile, Selangor and Sarawak played out a 1-1 draw at the Shah Alam Stadium, though the home side progressed into the semi-finals by winning the tie 3-2 on aggregate. Ashri Chuchu scored on the 22nd minute to open the scoring and make it 2-2 on aggregate, but the Red Giants bounced back almost immediately through Afiq Azmi, who fired home on the 28th minute to restore their aggregate lead. Both sides were incredibly cautious in going upfront, which led to the game being conservative in general. But Selangor eventually held on to secure their semi-final slot.

Photo Credit: Asiana.my
Photo Credit: Asiana.my

Pahang moved into the semis of the Malaysia Cup after surviving a major scare from LionsXII at the Jalan Besar Stadium. The Elephants came into the game with a comfortable 4-1 lead from the first leg, but they struggled to cope with the tempo of their Singaporean counterparts. Christopher Van Huizen scored on the 11th minute to make it 4-2 on aggregate, before Faris Ramli make it 4-3 just seven minutes later. With over 70 minutes of the game left at this point, Fandi Ahmad’s men began to push relentlessly in search of two more goals. But Pahang dropped back and defended impressively to eventually hold on and secure their passage into the next stage of the competition.

Fans at the Selayang Stadium witnessed an eventful game, as Kedah sealed a 3-1 win [4-2 on aggregate] over PKNS to progress into the semi-finals of the Malaysia Cup. Chidi Edeh opened the scoring to put Kedah ahead in the first half. After the break, Kedah were awarded a free-kick on the 68th minute – which was executed brilliantly Sandro Da Silva to put them 2-0 ahead in the game. But just as they were celebrating the goal, PKNS kicked off from the middle of the pitch, and raced forward to score – sparking massive protests from Kedah players as well as their technical staff. The referee though, allowed the goal to stay on, much to the dismay of the away team. That said, the Canaries eventually netted a third goal through Syafiq Ahmad, right at the death, to secure a morale-boosting win.

Other posts by