Formula1, Motorsport

Allowing Van der Garde to drive is too risky- Sauber lawyers

Formula One team Sauber’s lawyer argue that it would be reckless and dangerous to allow Dutch F1 driver Giedo van der Garde to race at the Australian GP this weekend.

The Dutchman, who was a test driver for Sauber last season, claimed that the Formula One team had agreed to book a race seat in the 2015 season.

Van der Garde then found out that he was not listed in the Sauber line-up  and that he was overlooked in favour of Filipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson; the duo were apparently selected due to their ability to generate fundings from sponsors, according to reports.

However, Van der Garde is now taking legal action against Sauber, in a bit to secure that race seat. A Swiss arbitration tribunal had already ruled that Sauber could not deny the Dutchman’s right to drive for the team.

That being said, according to AFP, Sauber lawyer Rodney Garratt argued that the 29 year-old had not trained in the team’s car nor has he gone through the two-week custom seat-fitting process.

“Mr Van der Garde has no experience driving the c34 Ferrari and would not have sufficient time to learn,” Garratt told the international arbitration court on Monday.

Meanwhile, the legal judgment for van der Garde’s case will be revealed on Wednesday.

Photo Credits: http://sportrajongo.hu/