— MotoGP™🏁 (@MotoGP) October 26, 2014
Marc Marquez nabbed a record-equalling 12th win of the season, at the Malaysian MotoGP.
The World MotoGP Champion’s victory at the Sepang International Circuit matched Australia’s Mick Doohan’s record of most premier class victories in a single season, set in 1997.
The result sealed the constructor’s title for Marquez’s Honda Team.
The Spaniard initially dropped to sixth on the first lap, with Jorge Lorenzo surging into the lead. Dani Pedrosa crashed twice, retiring after the second incident. Valentino Rossi took the lead halfway through the race, while Marquez passed Lorenzo.
Two laps later, Marquez pushed in front of the seven-time champion and claimed victory; just 2.445 seconds clear of Rossi.
The final race of the season takes place in Valencia, on November 9th.
Malaysian MotoGP result:
- Marc Marquez (Spa) Honda 40:45.523
- Valentino Rossi (Ita) Yamaha +2.445
- Jorge Lorenzo (Spa) Yamaha +3.508
- Stefan Bradl (Ger) Honda +21.234
- Bradley Smith (GB) Yamaha +22.283
- Pol Espargaro (Spa) Yamaha +34.668
- Yonny Hernandez (Col) Ducati +38.435
- Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Ducati +48.839
- Hector Barbera (Spa) Avintia +50.792
- Scott Redding (GB) Honda +59.088